How Is Time Management Killing Your Practice: Our Survey Tells All

At Practice Sense, we recently asked our practice partners to complete our Time Management Survey, and while we’d like to say that most practices have amazing time management skills, the results seem to suggest otherwise. Let’s take a closer look at what we figured out, what’s happening in today’s practices, and how it could be affecting the bottom line.

Rescheduling Is the Norm.

Every practice is going to have times when rescheduling is necessary. However, rescheduling more than five times per week is simply unacceptable. That is one reschedule daily, and with higher patient volumes, your practice needs to be able to keep as many patients on the original schedule as possible. In the survey, we found that 80 percent of practices report rescheduling patients at least every other day or between one and three times weekly. One in five practices reschedule at least one patient daily, if not more often.

About Half of Patients Can Access Their Records Online.

With the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services ramping up an emphasis on best practices and electronic health records, which include patient portals, just over half (60 percent) of our practices have given patients this ability. For the remaining 40 percent, practices must manually print, email, or otherwise send patient records when requested.

Shredding Is Less Expensive, But Where Are Things Being Stored?

In our survey, 100 percent of respondents reported having spent less than $50 monthly on shredding services. While this sounds great at first, it implies office staff is taking on this responsibility, which is costing money as it detracts from important responsibilities in the practice. Spending 10-minutes on shredding at the end of the day adds up to an hour of lost work weekly, if not more when considering multiple staff members shredding throughout the day.

All Practices Would Suffer If a Disaster Happened.

We though many practices had moved much of their documentation to online environments, but our survey told a different story.

  • 20 percent of practices would lose more than 10 boxes of documents if a flood occurred.
  • 20 percent would lose between three and five boxes of documents.
  • 60 percent of practices would lose one to two boxes of documents.

For a quick review, we looked into how many manila folders were stuffed with 20, stapled pages could fit into a standard office storage box. The test box held 180 files easily, and we could cram up to 225 files at most. That amounts to 4,500 pages of documentation lost per box, which would be more than 40,000 pages of critical documents for the 10+ loss category.

Time Management Is Important.

Lastly, respondents were split on the importance of time management, and 40 percent of respondents identified time management as the most important need for future success. As a result, we created a new guide, Don’t Be Late to the Appointment! A Guide on Time Management.  We hope you’ll download this resource, and think about how online patient forms and digital consent could be major players in better time management as well.

To get started with your custom solution to time management with online patient registration, contact us at Practice Sense today.

Download the Time Management Guide

Topics: Reducing Office Stress, Time Management

Recent Posts